Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Trellis - My Scrappy Summer continues

With three scrappy projects completed I marveled at how small of a dent I seemed to be making in my scrap bins.  Still determined to use up the majority of those scraps I was on the lookout for my next idea.

I remembered that some time ago I enrolled in a class through  Craftsy called Magical Jelly Roll Quilts taught by Kimbely Einmo.  I figured any pattern that leant itself to using jelly rolls was bound to look good when made with a variety of scraps instead.  So I looked through the lessons and patterns offered in the class and decided on Jacob's Ladder.

Ideally you want distinct value differences in your fabrics to really make a Jacob's Ladder quilt sing.  But as I mentioned in a previous post, the majority of my scraps were in the bright/medium range.  So once again I did the best I could with what I had to at least identify enough dark range fabrics to give my quilt some contrast.  I found some dark unused 10" squares that I cut for the half square triangle units and paired those with some left over yardage of a light batik I had used as background on some other project.  And it turned out that was enough to set off the brighter fabrics I used for the four patch units.

I had ordered some Fossil Fern fabric online that I intended to use as backing for this quilt  But while I was waiting for it to arrive I completed my Ultimate Scrap Buster and decided to use a length of that giant piece of patchwork for the backing on my Jacob's Ladder quilt.  I was a little worried that such a heavily pieced backing would cause problems when I quilted it.  But I didn't have any trouble at all.

In the end, I had another scrappy beauty that I call 

Trellis


And here's the crazy back...

1 comment: