Sunday, January 15, 2017

Carolina Lily - Project Quilting Challenge 8.2

1/15/17

The second challenge for season 8 of Project Quilting was announced today at 11:00 AM Arizona time and I was online to find out what it was by 11:01.  I had most of today free, but the rest of my week is incredibly busy so I knew if I was going to have any hope of completing an entry, I would have to get the majority of the work done today.  I was really hoping that inspiration would hit me immediately because I would need to get started right away.

So I was doing a happy dance when I saw the theme/inspiration for this challenge was the Carolina Lily.  Any other week, I might have tried to come up with something original featuring the gorgeous orange color of the flower.  But knowing I was under a serious time crunch, I had no time to think or plan.  Luckily for me, there is a traditional quilt block called the Carolina Lily and a version of that block is in the quilt (designed by Jinny Beyer for the Craftsy 2015 BOM) I just finished last month.  It has been my plan all along to make a couple of throw pillows to go with that quilt so this was the perfect opportunity.  I would make a pillow using the Carolina Lily block from the quilt!

I dug out the pattern, templates and fabric I used in the original quilt and found what I needed for this one block.  I was making my first cuts of fabric by noon!


By about 5:00 the main part of the block was done and I added framing strips and setting triangles to put the design on point and make it big enough to be able to make an eighteen inch pillow.

At about 6:00 my quilt top was done and my wonderful husband announced dinner was ready.  I was SO ready for a break.  His timing was perfect.

After a quick but delicious meal (thank you Tom 💖) I was back in the sewing room to work on the quilting.  No time to think about how to quilt it, so I used the same designs I used on the bed quilt.  Which is fine since they are meant to go together.

By 9:00 the quilting was done and I was completely done in for the day!  The quilting shows up way better on the back side.



I will be away from home for the majority of the day tomorrow and by Tuesday afternoon, my sewing room needs to make the transition to guest room in preparation for a visit from my sis-in-law, Lise who arrives Tuesday evening - flying in from North Carolina.  How's that for a coincidental tie in to our challenge?

Hopefully I will be able to find enough free time before then to turn the quilt top into a pillow.  Because Wednesday morning Lise and I are heading out to the Road to California quilt show in Ontario California and we won't be back until Saturday evening.  So I really need to have it all done before we leave.

Stay tuned to see if I make it.

1/16/17

As I expected, today was a crazy day with no down time at all until well into the evening.  Luckily I didn't really have that much work left to do.  Just put on the overlapping panels to turn the quilt into a pillow sham and then add the binding.  I probably could have saved myself quite a bit of time by sewing the binding completely by machine, but I've never been truly satisfied with the results when I do it that way so I stayed up watching late night TV and hand sewing the binding to finish it off.

Now it's done and just needs a name.  My husband named the bed quilt Electric Garden because of the way the flower fabrics glow against the black background.  So I think I'll call this

Electric Lily.


For Project Quilting Carolina Lily challenge - January 2017
Size: 18" x 18" 
I create in Casa Grande, AZ

Check out all of the wonderful and creative challenge entries at Project Quilting

9 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! I'm with you ... I have a hard time being happy when I use the machine to sew on my bindings. I think my hands are starting to tell me that I have to do that more though ... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic - and kismet that it fit your schedule so well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. fantastic! I am so glad you were able to make it work for something you wanted to make.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow is just gorgeous! I love the color in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful match to your beautiful bed quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous color combination and quilting on this pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your color choices! It just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! Great job making it happen in such a busy week!

    ReplyDelete