Friday, July 29, 2016

Still Stringing Along - More of My Scrappy Summer

Once I finished my first string quilt, Stringing Along, and realized my scrap pile was just as big as ever, a second string quilt seemed like the way to go.  Maybe this second one would use up all those scraps, or at least make a noticable dent in them.

My hope with Stringing Along had been to create a sort of half square triangle (HST), or log cabin effect by having one half of each block be made from lighter fabrics and the other half be from darker fabrics.  I was not completely successful with that.  The vast majority of my scraps fell more into the medium range rather than light and dark.  And what truly light and dark fabric I had got used in that first quilt.  So with this second string quilt, while my construction method was basically the same, I decided to try using color instead of value to achieve the desired HST effect.

I still used the white center strip, but this time I put warm colors on one side and cool colors on the other and I increased the block size to 9 inches.  This was much more sucessful in creating the contrast between the two halves of the block that I was looking for.

Originally I thought I would arrange the blocks into a chevron pattern.





But after getting all the blocks constructed and placing them up on my design wall, I decided I liked it better when I put the blocks into a layout that created the look of squares on point.

From there it didn't take long to get the top sewn together and then add some simple quilting.

Another string quilt complete!  I absolutely love how this one turned out!


Still Stringing Along



No comments:

Post a Comment