Friday, February 3, 2017

Designing "Blessed Tiles"

Once the third challenge for this season of Project Quilting was announced, it didn't take me long to decide I was going to make a whole cloth quilt inspired by the ceiling tiles in my old church.  But bringing that vision to life was another story.

First I had to create the design for one tile.  I wasn't able to find any photos that showed the tiles in any detail, but cropping and zooming in as far as I could before it got too blurry on one of the pictures I did have showed me enough to get started. 


I began with a design grid.
 And used that to start sketching out various options for my tile design.   The grid lines helped me to keep the design elements consistent and evenly spaced.


I actually went through three different versions before I finally decided on a sort of hybrid between two of them.




Even though I used the design grid to draw my tile, I knew it wasn't perfectly symetrical and if I just made multiple copies as it was, not all of the elements would line up when placed next to each other.

So I had to redraw it one more time.  I used a technique I had seen demonstrated awhile back on an episode of The Quilt Show.  While I remembered how to do the technique, I can't remember who the guest was who demonstrated it.  Sorry.

As you can see, the design grid I used is made up of 8 identically shaped wedges.  So to create a symetrical tile, I really only needed to draw one wedge of the design and then trace that multiple times.

Using a piece of tracing paper, I drew a square the size of my tile.  Then I folded the square diagonally, taking care to make sure my lines matched up corner to corner.  Fold that in half two more times.  
When I unfold the paper, it looks like this.  Notice the fold lines are the same as the wedge lines on the design grid.

So now I can trace the wedge I drew onto a wedge of the tracing paper.  

Once that first wedge is traced, I fold the paper in half on the diagonal and trace the design onto the next wedge.  And now one corner is complete.  
I continued folding and tracing until all the wedges we filled and I had one full tile drawn.

The rest was pretty easy.  I made 4 copies of the completed tile on my home printer, cut them out and taped them together.  

I taped this to the table and placed my fabric on top and then taped the fabric to the table too.  Now I could trace the design onto my fabric without worrying about it slipping and having to line everything up again.  

Once the fabric was marked, I layered it with my backing and batting and then used water soluble thread to baste around the tiles to be sure they stayed square once I started stitching.  I then stitched over all the drawn lines.


Then it was just a matter of stitching all the extra details. 

Blessed Tiles
For Project Quilting Tune in to Texture challenge - January/February 2017
inspired by the ceiling tiles at Immaculate Conception Church in Fairbanks, Alaska
Size: 18" x 18" 
I create in Casa Grande, AZ

Find my full blog post for the Tune in to Texture challenge is here.

Check out all of the wonderful and creative challenge entries at Project Quilting

3 comments:

  1. Very nice!what type of marker do you use to mark your fabric? Do you mark all ur extra fill in designs as well? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the blue water erase markers. I have several brands and all seem to work well. Never had problems with any of them. I try to mark as little as possible so no, I did not mark anything other than what you see on the paper version for the center part of the quilt. However, I did use a stencil and a pounce pad to mark the grid of the outer border.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I almost forgot. I also used a ruler to make little dots where I wanted the peaks of the arches in the border to be.

      Delete