Tuesday, June 2, 2015

June Challenge Revealed

Our inspiration block for the June challenge is the Friendship Star.  I came to quilting through what I think is a fairly non-traditional path so I haven't used a lot of these very traditional blocks in my quilts before.   I did a web search for images of Friendship Star quilts to see if I could find some inspiration.  Wow.  There was so much to choose from.  But the one quilt that really caught my eye had a sort of star in a star design at it's center.  I decided to try playing with that idea.

For the first time in my quilting life, I actually sketched out some ideas before jumping in.  I've been wanting to try creating different color effects, like transparency, luminosity and gradation.  So I started thinking of ways I might be able to incorporate one of those techniques in this quilt.  Initially I was drawn to the sketch on the top left where I could play with transparency ideas but my eyes kept going back to the lower right drawing.  I'm pretty sure that's the idea I'll be using.  Hopefully I have the right fabrics to create the color gradation effect I have in mind.

I'm excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment